It’s not uncommon for manufacturers to produce limited quantity special edition bikes, Aprilia did it with the ‘X’ Bikes, MV Agusta does it, Ducati makes limited-edition versions with the Lamborgini collaboration on the Diavel the latest. These models which sell out quickly and at an increased price must keep the accountants happy, allowing the engineers to continue their work. KTM have now released their new project the KTM 1290 Superduke RR
We saw the concept bike during the release for the Superduke R video, Jezza McWilliams wrangling around a track-esq Superduke in the teaser video. Enquiries for this bike must have been high as KTM announced a limited run of 500 Superduke RR bikes. The first bike in the KTM range to ever wear the RR denotion, with KTM saying the R&D engineers had completely free reign to make the best. The Superduke RR is street legal, and KTM’s flagship model with pure performance in mind. Hopefully, the Superduke RR will tide us over, until we see an orange V4 superbike.
Despite the 1290 name, displacement is at 1301cc, generating 180hp, and 140Nm of torque. This is the most powerful Vtwin engine fitted to a production motorcycle. The engine is Euro-5 compliant, and gains a quick action throttle grip, using 65degrees from closed to open – 7 degrees quicker than the standard Superduke R. Akrapovic provide the exhaust slip-on can, utilising titanium and carbon fibre construction, however the cat stays. The full system is available as an optional extra.
Weight is 180kg, but no mention of wet or dry, assumptions would be dry, but KTM has saved weight making the RR version of the Superduke 9kg lighter than the R model. A lightweight lithium-ion battery saves 2.5kg, and extensive carbon fibre usage in components like the subframe, have decreased weight and allowed the designers to create the sculpted single-seat tail using with incorporated LED lights. Yes this Superduke RR is road legal.
KTM has made it more agile and stiffer with more stability saving 1.5kg of weight from the wheels, and wrapping them in Michelin’s Power Cup 2 track-day and fast road tyre.
Suspension is supplied by KTM owned WP Suspension using the fully adjustable WP APEX PRO cartridge forks and shock, and a WP APEX PRO steering damper, all uniquely tuned to the SDRR.
Availability is limited to 500 units worldwide (apart from the USA – Sadface) with pre-orders being placed through an online portal from 8th April, 9am UK time.
Pricing is unknown at this time, but the extensive use of Carbon fibre and other lavish items could see the cost increase substantially over the standard Superduke 1290.
- Ben’s training log week 1.Weekly Stats: Rides: 2 Time trial (12km long) Negative Split and Zone 2 recovery (8km)Runs: 2 (Couch to 5k week 2, run 1 and week 1 run 3)Other activities: Indoor Bouldering & Rock Climbing I’m not the fastest out there,… Read More »Ben’s training log week 1.
- Duathlon Traning log #1If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a… Read More »Duathlon Traning log #1
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!