Widely regarded as some of the best boots money can buy, are the Alpinestars Supertech R. Equipment of choice to the pro’s, do you need any more endorsement? I managed to find a brand new pair at a quarter of the retail price, on a well-known auction site. Too good to refuse.
The design and construction of the boot are rivalled only by the likes of German firm Daytona. If you are well up on your boots, you will know the price tag a pair of Daytona boots will command. This is where the SuperTech trumps the Daytona.
The Alpinestars Supertech R is made in two parts, an inner and an outer boot. The inner contains all the safety systems of the boot. An internal ankle brace allows the ankle to bend naturally up and down but then reduces side to side movement. The inner boot is filled with lots of padding and has proper ventilation making a comfortable boot. They utilise Kevlar laces which fasten up using a quick fasten connector.
The inner boot then slides into the outer which is more a cover. Some thought has gone into the design of the outers. They fasten with a zip on the outside of the boot, and a ratchet strap mechanism.
I like the zip being on the outside of the boot, a clever move to get it away from the bike avoiding paint scratches. The inside face of the boot is very soft to the touch, suede-like material to maximise feel on the bike. There is a seal to the top of the boot around the shin, it stops those pesky pebbles running down into the boot.
Importantly once mated together there is no movement between the inner and outer boot. I have worn them when I have ridden to an event and walked a few miles around and never had any issues on or off the bike. The heel and toe sliders are replaceable which is good for me as I’m a heel dragger when I stop at traffic lights.
Six months and around 5000 miles of ownership I love them to bits! They are my go-to boot, now.
There is only one downside. I did say they were a well-ventilated boot, which is fine when it’s nice and warm. However the ventilation can get quite nippy when the ambient temps are low, and also they are not very waterproof, but you can’t have it all. Whilst motorcycle boots are not a necessity, I know I want to protect mine as much as possible.
In short, I LOVE these boots, I just wish Alpinestars would sell the inners and outers separately as I have worn the outers out. They are immensely comfy, and size really well. I wouldn’t recommend going up or down a size, buy the same as your normal trainer size and they should be a great fit. If you do get an opportunity to try some on in a should just do double-check, do it.
Check out more on our Instagram here!
- Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double HeaderIt’s race week! Soon we will be revisiting the rollercoaster at Portimao, and even more exciting: the King is coming back! Yes, Marc Marquez has been declared fit to race this week and Friday will be the very first time he’s seen on his beloved RC213V since that traumatic crash in the opening round of… Read More »Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double Header
- Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão returnIt’s been weird without him, but four months on from his latest surgery Marc Marquez has been cleared by doctors, ready for his Moto GP return. His incident at the Jerez season opener in 2020, lead to suffering from an infected pseudoarthrosis of the right humerus (infected fusion site, right upper arm), after multiple surgeries which… Read More »Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão return
- KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutesAre you one of the lucky 500 who managed to bag a KTM Superduke RR pre-order? Probably not, but the ultra-limited edition Superduke RR comes as the new, flagship model hooligan bike for the street. KTM opened up the online portal for pre-orders, for the first come first served style registration, and also offered the… Read More »KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutes
- Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and BlingI liked the GSXF1000, basically the same as the GSXS just with more a bit more fairing. I had one for a few days not so long ago, and even in the short period of time I had it, it came across as a great bike. The weather was freezing, and wet, during winter the… Read More »Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and Bling
- KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bikeIt’s not uncommon for manufacturers to produce limited quantity special edition bikes, Aprilia did it with the ‘X’ Bikes, MV Agusta does it, Ducati makes limited-edition versions with the Lamborgini collaboration on the Diavel the latest. These models which sell out quickly and at an increased price must keep the accountants happy, allowing the engineers… Read More »KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bike