TT icon Peter Hickman has finally managed to get his BMW HP4 Race footage from TT 2017. The stunning video (below) shows Pete wringing the neck of the ultra-limited edition dream bike HP4 race. The HP4 race was launched by BMW as a track-only weapon. The first bike with factory carbon fibre wheels and subframe, and 215 horses on tap from the four-cylinder engine.
At the time the HP4 RACE cost a staggering £68,000. For a bike which is practically at World Superbike specification, it’s a bit of a bargain. Consider the Ohlins FGR forks and TTX shock probably has three 0’s after a two-figure number with a pound sign. More than likely the electronics package has the same number. A small snip compared to the Cost of a World Superbike. Brembo GP4 calipers provide the stopping, and the bikes were also lavished with top of the range aftermarket components from the likes of Gillies and GB racing.
The numbers on the sheet speak for itself, it’s lighter than a world superbike, thanks to carbon subframes and which are not race legal. The only issue? BMW only made 750 bikes in a limited production run. That initial £68,000 price tag has more than likely increased IF you can find one actually for sale.
Back to Peter Hickman, though, in 2018 at the Isle of Man TT, BMW presented Peter with a brand new HP4 Race. The bike had only been run in on a Dyno, and Peter had never ridden the bike before. 10kg’s lighter than his normal TT superbike, and dealing with a late evening ride, with a low sun on his flying demo lap, we got this beautiful video. The lap time was a 19mins and 6 seconds with a 118mph average, and Peter was having ‘fun’, minding yellow flags, oil flags and plenty of wheelies! Check out the video below! This is 20 mins of pure bliss and adrenaline fair play, Pete!
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they know, combining that with tours to the best local attractions, eating the best local food,… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues lie with the state of the tarmac and it seems to be getting worse every… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre than the Diablo Rosso 4, using Bi-Compound construction on both front and rear tyres, with… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!
- Is Yamaha working on a new sportsbike for 2022?Over the past few years, with the CV-19 pandemic and spiralling costs, firms want to get the most reward from R&D costs; at first, I thought it was to keep things simple, but it also makes excellent business sense. This process is not new, it’s been going on for decades, but it’s now even more… Read More »Is Yamaha working on a new sportsbike for 2022?
- BeMoto Insurance giving away Panigale V4S!Motorcycle insurance specialist BeMoto has announced the launch of the new BeLotto competition, to win a Ducati Panigale V4S complete with a full selection of other prizes totalling over £10,000, in this free to enter competition. BeMoto insurance are relatively new, starting in 2015, but with over 50 years of experience in the financial services… Read More »BeMoto Insurance giving away Panigale V4S!