TT icon Peter Hickman has finally managed to get his BMW HP4 Race footage from TT 2017. The stunning video (below) shows Pete wringing the neck of the ultra-limited edition dream bike HP4 race. The HP4 race was launched by BMW as a track-only weapon. The first bike with factory carbon fibre wheels and subframe, and 215 horses on tap from the four-cylinder engine.
At the time the HP4 RACE cost a staggering £68,000. For a bike which is practically at World Superbike specification, it’s a bit of a bargain. Consider the Ohlins FGR forks and TTX shock probably has three 0’s after a two-figure number with a pound sign. More than likely the electronics package has the same number. A small snip compared to the Cost of a World Superbike. Brembo GP4 calipers provide the stopping, and the bikes were also lavished with top of the range aftermarket components from the likes of Gillies and GB racing.
The numbers on the sheet speak for itself, it’s lighter than a world superbike, thanks to carbon subframes and which are not race legal. The only issue? BMW only made 750 bikes in a limited production run. That initial £68,000 price tag has more than likely increased IF you can find one actually for sale.
Back to Peter Hickman, though, in 2018 at the Isle of Man TT, BMW presented Peter with a brand new HP4 Race. The bike had only been run in on a Dyno, and Peter had never ridden the bike before. 10kg’s lighter than his normal TT superbike, and dealing with a late evening ride, with a low sun on his flying demo lap, we got this beautiful video. The lap time was a 19mins and 6 seconds with a 118mph average, and Peter was having ‘fun’, minding yellow flags, oil flags and plenty of wheelies! Check out the video below! This is 20 mins of pure bliss and adrenaline fair play, Pete!
- What is a paddock stand?Paddock stands are essential for the home mechanic or the track day junkie and race teams. Front and rear stands are the simplest way to get both wheels off the floor. Making wheel changes, fitting or removing tyre warmers, or other maintenance tasks easier. What is a paddock stand? Essentially a simple lifting device on… Read More »What is a paddock stand?
- Win a day with California Superbike School UKWant to win a day with the great people at California Superbike School UK learning how to ride a bike properly on track? Of course, you do, who wouldn’t, and it really couldn’t be simpler! All you have to do is comment on social media, specifically on R&G’s pages your favourite track memory, or what… Read More »Win a day with California Superbike School UK
- How to keep cool on the bike when it’s hotWe have all seen it on hot days, the people riding round in T-shirts, shorts and flip flops. Personally, it’s not for me. I value my skin and having had various slides down the tarmac, I’ve worked out that tarmac and skin don’t mix. Hopefully, you think the same too, but riding around in full… Read More »How to keep cool on the bike when it’s hot
- Pramac Racing Retain Jorge Martin and Johann Zarco for 2022Silly season in MotoGP continues. Pramac Racing have announced that they will be retaining both of their riders for the upcoming 2022 season. This announcement precludes the return of Jorge Martin, who has missed the last 4 rounds due to multiple injuries sustained in Free Practise during the Portuguese GP. However, before his accident, he… Read More »Pramac Racing Retain Jorge Martin and Johann Zarco for 2022
- Remy Gardner is MotoGP boundRemy Gardner, the current championship leader in the Moto2 category, has signed a deal with KTM’s Tech3 Racing Team to move into the moto MotoGP class for 2022. The move up to the premier class has been threatening for the young Australian for some time now, as he was able to start consistently taking pole… Read More »Remy Gardner is MotoGP bound