New in for summer 2020 (or what’s left of it) are the Hood 7K-AA motorcycling jeans. With all the classic quality features from Hood, the 7K-AA’s can be fitted with three types of D30 armour. Here we find out if armoured jeans are safe.
Are armoured jeans safe?
Wanting these to commute to work in, I decided that I should upgrade to the new D30 Ghost armour. D30 Ghost claims the same level of protection as the regular armour, whilst being half the thickness. This means it’s perfect for looking casual without compromising on safety.
The new K7-AA’s are high quality with double stitching and fully lined kevlar legs and pockets for armour. Compared to other jeans, the Hood jeans heavy denim, Kevlar lining and armour pads which add a little bit of weight. Despite this, the weight not significantly noticeable when wearing them.
I’ve worn them for multiple days at work in my active job, and when walking, you can barely feel the knee armour. When sat down at a desk, the knee armour isn’t noticeable. The D30 Ghost hip & knee armour measures 10mm thick. At times I’ve had to double-check that the hip armour is actually there.
Are these the best armoured jeans?
When on the bike, the jeans feel excellent, there’s perfect grip to the bike. You don’t feel like you’re slipping and sliding around.
If you wanted to have a casual ride, without having to don the power ranger uniform, the Hood K7-AA jeans are a perfect substitute. They’d look perfectly casual for trips into the high street or a ride out.
Armoured jean Temperature regulation
When commuting one morning, around 10 degrees celsius, the K7-AA’s didn’t feel chilly at all. Commuting back in 25-degree weather, I wasn’t sweating as I would be in textile trousers. The kevlar maintains a level of breathability to help keep your legs cool without being too much and making your knees chilly.
Dealing with small showers of rain hasn’t been a problem either, I didn’t feel the rain on my legs. In very windy 10-16 degree weather, my legs didn’t feel noticeably cold. I had the vents open on my Jofama touring jacket, and that felt colder than my legs did.
As somebody who doesn’t wear leathers but wore textile trousers, the hood jeans make it easier and nicer to go on a ride. You can be spontaneous enough to just put them on and go, as opposed to how it felt with bulky textile trousers. It seems a lot simpler than textiles, despite being the same process really.
Hood jeans give bonus points for styling
I think the look of jeans, jacket and boots seem relatively normal for a biker. People might think they’re just regular jeans and there’s no way to tell unless you’re touching them or feeling the armour.
They feel much more “Socially acceptable” if you had a change of shoes you would pass for being in “casual attire”.
You can find out more about the K7-AA’s by going to https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/
- Sena launches new Outrush R flip front helmetWireless intercom experts Sena have released a brand new flip front helmet, fully integrated with Bluetooth to provide wireless connectivity. Making things simple, without the need to retrofit cables, microphones speakers or accessories fit intercom units to the helmet shell. Why does oil go black?… Read More »Sena launches new Outrush R flip front helmet
- Loop quiet and Loop experience Earplugs ReviewSince getting our hands on the Loop Quiet and Experience earplugs back in November, we have put a large amount of miles in on the bikes. We thought we would rundown how the past few months have gone using the new Loop earplugs. Motorcycle hearing… Read More »Loop quiet and Loop experience Earplugs Review
- Shoei NXR helmet reviewShoei’s flagship road helmet packs a punch with excellent value for money. Shoei says the NXR has been created with no unnecessary features, no gadgets. Just ride. The helmet itself is compact but features everything you would expect from a premium helmet. The NXR weighs… Read More »Shoei NXR helmet review
- Two new Sena 3S Bluetooth units for 2021World leader in global helmet communications Sena has announced two additional units into the product range for 2021. Both new additions see the entry-level 3S get a makeover with the Sena 3S Plus Boom and Sena 3S Plus universal models. The two new units have… Read More »Two new Sena 3S Bluetooth units for 2021
- Arai releases the new Quantic helmetArai has added the new Quantic helmet to their extensive helmet range, the range which already had something for everyone. The new Quantic looks primarily aimed at the sports touring market, looking like a possible replacement to the Chaser-X, although possibly a little less track… Read More »Arai releases the new Quantic helmet