The motorcycle working group, set up by Highways England in 2015 has put together creative input to the National Highways to make the UK road network safer for motorcyclists. This group provides specialist info and briefings to the needs of motorcyclists.
Ducati V4S review
National Highways published the ‘Guide to Designing for Motorcyclists’ document, sowing best practice designs for highways engineers. This document is aimed at providing a reminder of issues faced by motorcyclists and how to maximise safety, minimise risks and highlight particular changes made to the DMRB (Design Manual for Roads and Bridges), the design guidelines and best practices for road design.
New road design standards
New measures include repositioning of manhole covers away from the road, applying a skid-resistant cover if in the road, removing old road markings before applying new markings, and applying skid resistant coatings in areas where a motorcycle may have reduced grip.
Horseshoe pass speed limit gets reduced to 40mph!
Other recommendations include roadside furniture such as posts, signs and barriers being thought about more, asking designers to avoid placing such items on the outside of bends and reducing the amount of furniture used in general. Other guidelines include the design of bends, junctions and roundabouts to further reduce the risk to motorcyclists when navigating these.
- Ben’s training log week 1.Weekly Stats: Rides: 2 Time trial (12km long) Negative Split and Zone 2 recovery (8km)Runs: 2 (Couch to 5k week 2, run 1 and week 1 run 3)Other activities: Indoor Bouldering & Rock Climbing I’m not the fastest out there,… Read More »Ben’s training log week 1.
- Duathlon Traning log #1If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a… Read More »Duathlon Traning log #1
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!