As the crappest year ever draws to a close, planning for 2021 is already starting. If you are a keen track day attendee, there is something to add to your Christmas list from Santa. The UK’s biggest motorsport circuit operator MSV has deemed it now mandatory for motorcycles on track days to run a brake lever guard. Most No Limits track days operate on MSV circuits so you will need one, and this will more than likely be checked with the noise test. Whilst other tracks that are not MSV operated may not enforce the rule, running a guard won’t do any harm. So in summary, yes you will more than likely need a lever guard for a 2021 UK trackday. Below are some great lever guards to consider!
Whilst this isn’t a big deal, if you are a racer you’ll already be running one as brake lever guards are mandatory. However, the road riders who frequent the occasional track day in order to get the speed demon off their back might suffer. Theoretically running a brake lever guard on the road isn’t an issue, but some insurers may class it as a modification that could bump up premiums despite it being a safety mod.
Safety is paramount and lessening the chance the levers can get tangled, jammed, or clipped accidentally is always a bonus. Running a guard is proven to help prevent accidents which is good for everybody.
Carbon masters GDH Motorsport have launched a range of carbon fibre lever guards. With the lightest guards on the market at 40 grams, and being used by Moto2 race team American racing with Marcos Ramirez and Cameron Beaubier. Fitment comes in universal fitment, or M12 specific for BMW models, but also may fit other manufacturers. Also available is a weighted version which raises the weight from 40grams to 102grams for bikes that utilise a bar end weight. At the bargain price of £84.50 for a full carbon lever guard used on the Moto2 grid, these should be good enough for everybody!
If carbon is too lightweight for you there is a £190 Lightech billet aluminium version. Big brands like R&G Racing, GB Racing, Gillies and Lightech are all producing guards in different styles, from moulded plastic to billet aluminium, the plastic guards come in at around the £55 mark.
- Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double HeaderIt’s race week! Soon we will be revisiting the rollercoaster at Portimao, and even more exciting: the King is coming back! Yes, Marc Marquez has been declared fit to race this week and Friday will be the very first time he’s seen on his beloved RC213V since that traumatic crash in the opening round of… Read More »Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double Header
- Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão returnIt’s been weird without him, but four months on from his latest surgery Marc Marquez has been cleared by doctors, ready for his Moto GP return. His incident at the Jerez season opener in 2020, lead to suffering from an infected pseudoarthrosis of the right humerus (infected fusion site, right upper arm), after multiple surgeries which… Read More »Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão return
- KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutesAre you one of the lucky 500 who managed to bag a KTM Superduke RR pre-order? Probably not, but the ultra-limited edition Superduke RR comes as the new, flagship model hooligan bike for the street. KTM opened up the online portal for pre-orders, for the first come first served style registration, and also offered the… Read More »KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutes
- Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and BlingI liked the GSXF1000, basically the same as the GSXS just with more a bit more fairing. I had one for a few days not so long ago, and even in the short period of time I had it, it came across as a great bike. The weather was freezing, and wet, during winter the… Read More »Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and Bling
- KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bikeIt’s not uncommon for manufacturers to produce limited quantity special edition bikes, Aprilia did it with the ‘X’ Bikes, MV Agusta does it, Ducati makes limited-edition versions with the Lamborgini collaboration on the Diavel the latest. These models which sell out quickly and at an increased price must keep the accountants happy, allowing the engineers… Read More »KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bike