As the crappest year ever draws to a close, planning for 2021 is already starting. If you are a keen track day attendee, there is something to add to your Christmas list from Santa. The UK’s biggest motorsport circuit operator MSV has deemed it now mandatory for motorcycles on track days to run a brake lever guard. Most No Limits track days operate on MSV circuits so you will need one, and this will more than likely be checked with the noise test. Whilst other tracks that are not MSV operated may not enforce the rule, running a guard won’t do any harm. So in summary, yes you will more than likely need a lever guard for a 2021 UK trackday. Below are some great lever guards to consider!
Kawasaki’s brand new ZX10RR launched
Whilst this isn’t a big deal, if you are a racer you’ll already be running one as brake lever guards are mandatory. However, the road riders who frequent the occasional track day in order to get the speed demon off their back might suffer. Theoretically running a brake lever guard on the road isn’t an issue, but some insurers may class it as a modification that could bump up premiums despite it being a safety mod.
Arai’s brand new Quantic surfaces
Safety is paramount and lessening the chance the levers can get tangled, jammed, or clipped accidentally is always a bonus. Running a guard is proven to help prevent accidents which is good for everybody.
Carbon masters GDH Motorsport have launched a range of carbon fibre lever guards. With the lightest guards on the market at 40 grams, and being used by Moto2 race team American racing with Marcos Ramirez and Cameron Beaubier. Fitment comes in universal fitment, or M12 specific for BMW models, but also may fit other manufacturers. Also available is a weighted version which raises the weight from 40grams to 102grams for bikes that utilise a bar end weight. At the bargain price of £84.50 for a full carbon lever guard used on the Moto2 grid, these should be good enough for everybody!
If carbon is too lightweight for you there is a £190 Lightech billet aluminium version. Big brands like R&G Racing, GB Racing, Gillies and Lightech are all producing guards in different styles, from moulded plastic to billet aluminium, the plastic guards come in at around the £55 mark.
- Ben’s training log week 1.Weekly Stats: Rides: 2 Time trial (12km long) Negative Split and Zone 2 recovery (8km)Runs: 2 (Couch to 5k week 2, run 1 and week 1 run 3)Other activities: Indoor Bouldering & Rock Climbing I’m not the fastest out there, and I know it, but there’s time. That’s the best bit. Being a scientist, I’m… Read More »Ben’s training log week 1.
- Duathlon Traning log #1If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a Triathlon, but it’s not something you just go and do, so entering a Duathlon gave… Read More »Duathlon Traning log #1
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they know, combining that with tours to the best local attractions, eating the best local food,… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues lie with the state of the tarmac and it seems to be getting worse every… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre than the Diablo Rosso 4, using Bi-Compound construction on both front and rear tyres, with… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!