Yamaha has well and truly knocked the ball out of the park with this one. Their yards built program, was designed to show what happens when the most creative minds get their hands on production road bikes. This isn’t the first, yard built bike, but it is 100% one of the most stunning. Based on the Yamaha MT09, it makes a massive improvement!!
The builder, Bottpower drew inspiration and wisdom from their two victories at American hill climb event, Pikes Peak in 2017. In two categories their bikes won over the 19.99km course which covers a climb of 1440 meters over 156 corners.
How to make an MT09 even better!
“The XR9 Carbona is inspired by our Pikes Peak victories. With its strong torque and compact chassis, we realised that the CP3-powered Yamaha XSR900 was the ideal base for this dynamic new Yard Built special,”
“Firstly our goal was to create a cool and fast bike with a modern and aggressive look – and we also wanted to be able to develop a ‘plug and play’ kit that would enable any Yamaha XSR900 or CP3 Platform owner to transform their bike into the XR9.”Bottpower manager David Sánchez.
After being such a success, Bottpower has made the kit available to the public, so the XR9 Carbona kit fits any XSR/CP3 (MT09 variants), and components should be straight bolt on fitment. Comprising of a tank cover with integrated air ducts, carbon seat and tail section with alcantara trim, complete with rear lights. The front end gets LED lights, and a flat track style number board. Other inclusions are radiator covers winglets sprocket covers and a belly pan.
“Using our extensive experience with composites and 3D printing, we introduced Yamaha R-series elements like the hidden round headlights to create the feeling of a race bike with a numberplate. The XR9 Carbona features a lot of optical mass around the engine meaning a stubby front and short rear – and when looking from the ¾ front view it reminded us of a Pitbull with strong muscular shoulders (the fuel tank) and a hunched look which creates a powerful stance.”Bottpower’s senior designer Hugo van Waaijen
The kit is listed on Bottpowers website at €4,975 or £4,518 for the kit alone, not including any donor bike or replacement parts. For more information see the Bottpower website
- Ben’s training log week 1.Weekly Stats: Rides: 2 Time trial (12km long) Negative Split and Zone 2 recovery (8km)Runs: 2 (Couch to 5k week 2, run 1 and week 1 run 3)Other activities: Indoor Bouldering & Rock Climbing I’m not the fastest out there, and I know it, but there’s time. That’s the best bit. Being a scientist, I’m… Read More »Ben’s training log week 1.
- Duathlon Traning log #1If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a Triathlon, but it’s not something you just go and do, so entering a Duathlon gave… Read More »Duathlon Traning log #1
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they know, combining that with tours to the best local attractions, eating the best local food,… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues lie with the state of the tarmac and it seems to be getting worse every… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre than the Diablo Rosso 4, using Bi-Compound construction on both front and rear tyres, with… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!