Yamaha has well and truly knocked the ball out of the park with this one. Their yards built program, was designed to show what happens when the most creative minds get their hands on production road bikes. This isn’t the first, yard built bike, but it is 100% one of the most stunning. Based on the Yamaha MT09, it makes a massive improvement!!
The builder, Bottpower drew inspiration and wisdom from their two victories at American hill climb event, Pikes Peak in 2017. In two categories their bikes won over the 19.99km course which covers a climb of 1440 meters over 156 corners.
How to make an MT09 even better!
“The XR9 Carbona is inspired by our Pikes Peak victories. With its strong torque and compact chassis, we realised that the CP3-powered Yamaha XSR900 was the ideal base for this dynamic new Yard Built special,”
“Firstly our goal was to create a cool and fast bike with a modern and aggressive look – and we also wanted to be able to develop a ‘plug and play’ kit that would enable any Yamaha XSR900 or CP3 Platform owner to transform their bike into the XR9.”Bottpower manager David Sánchez.
After being such a success, Bottpower has made the kit available to the public, so the XR9 Carbona kit fits any XSR/CP3 (MT09 variants), and components should be straight bolt on fitment. Comprising of a tank cover with integrated air ducts, carbon seat and tail section with alcantara trim, complete with rear lights. The front end gets LED lights, and a flat track style number board. Other inclusions are radiator covers winglets sprocket covers and a belly pan.
“Using our extensive experience with composites and 3D printing, we introduced Yamaha R-series elements like the hidden round headlights to create the feeling of a race bike with a numberplate. The XR9 Carbona features a lot of optical mass around the engine meaning a stubby front and short rear – and when looking from the ¾ front view it reminded us of a Pitbull with strong muscular shoulders (the fuel tank) and a hunched look which creates a powerful stance.”Bottpower’s senior designer Hugo van Waaijen
The kit is listed on Bottpowers website at €4,975 or £4,518 for the kit alone, not including any donor bike or replacement parts. For more information see the Bottpower website
- Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double HeaderIt’s race week! Soon we will be revisiting the rollercoaster at Portimao, and even more exciting: the King is coming back! Yes, Marc Marquez has been declared fit to race this week and Friday will be the very first time he’s seen on his beloved RC213V since that traumatic crash in the opening round of… Read More »Qatar vs Doha: Winners and Losers of the Opening Double Header
- Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão returnIt’s been weird without him, but four months on from his latest surgery Marc Marquez has been cleared by doctors, ready for his Moto GP return. His incident at the Jerez season opener in 2020, lead to suffering from an infected pseudoarthrosis of the right humerus (infected fusion site, right upper arm), after multiple surgeries which… Read More »Marc Marquez set for 2021 Portimão return
- KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutesAre you one of the lucky 500 who managed to bag a KTM Superduke RR pre-order? Probably not, but the ultra-limited edition Superduke RR comes as the new, flagship model hooligan bike for the street. KTM opened up the online portal for pre-orders, for the first come first served style registration, and also offered the… Read More »KTM’s Superduke RR sold out in 48 minutes
- Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and BlingI liked the GSXF1000, basically the same as the GSXS just with more a bit more fairing. I had one for a few days not so long ago, and even in the short period of time I had it, it came across as a great bike. The weather was freezing, and wet, during winter the… Read More »Suzuki drops GSXS1000 Teaser Wings and Bling
- KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bikeIt’s not uncommon for manufacturers to produce limited quantity special edition bikes, Aprilia did it with the ‘X’ Bikes, MV Agusta does it, Ducati makes limited-edition versions with the Lamborgini collaboration on the Diavel the latest. These models which sell out quickly and at an increased price must keep the accountants happy, allowing the engineers… Read More »KTM 1290 Superduke RR: Road legal track bike