I am the first to hold my hands up and say I’m not a touring biker. My bike does not have the fuel range, it can’t practically carry stuff, I don’t own a sat-nav, I’m terrible with directions and every time I try to route plan it turns out to be a 40 zone with craters rivalling the surface of the moon. So when Maja said she would sort all of the hassles; all I had to do was turn up, ride, enjoy the sights and ice creams. It sounds like a deal too good to be true!
Taking the hassle out of a tour
Not scared of adventure, Maja has travelled the globe. Hitchhiking across Europe, bicycling to Barcelona, across Italy and southern France. Nowadays blood biker Maja, operates out of God’s country (Wales), exploring the best roads the UK has to offer, on her Ducati Supersport ‘Bella’.
Maja took us on her Welsh lakes tour, starting and ending in Wrexham. Stops include Lyn Brenig, Betws-y-coed, Bala lake and Lake Vyrnwy. The route is 150 miles of Wales’ finest roads, amazing scenery, with the odd sheep or two. Low traffic volumes, made the route perfect to enjoy, with nice breaks in between stages.
Making it easy to tour on any bike!
When touring, the company you keep quite often makes trips, and on this one, it was no exception. Ten of the UK’s finest Northern motorcycle twitterers, riding a range of sports bikes, and one on a comfy bike, with plenty of storage.
Meeting at 10 am, gives a social start time, still allowing a lie in, and no mad rush to get to the start. Picking a petrol station and coffee shop also allowed fueling of myself and the bike ready for the day’s adventure.
I’ve found with previous group rides, the varying abilities of riders, often leads to people getting left behind, or lost. Maja grouped us well with riders of similar riding levels and led from the front keeping a progressive pace suitable for all of us. On a smaller, more intimate group, there would be no issues, and even better Maja can alter the pace to whatever suits.
The best roads in Wales
The route itself was a great mix of every sort of road imaginable. Magnificent scenery through the Snowdonia national park, wide-open roads in excellent condition made it a pleasure to ride. The A4212 from Betws to Bala is motorcycling perfection and enjoyed by all on the trip. The ice cream at Bala makes it worth the visit alone.
Wales’ highest mountain pass
What do you get when you cross a Yamaha R1, the highest mountain pass in Wales, mud, sheep shi* and cattle grids? The road, Bwlch y Groes links minor roads Dinas Mawddwy (via Llanymawddwy), Llanuwchllyn and Lake Vyrnwy. Doing these on a sportsbike was an experience, a great ride for scenery and photos, and I can bet not many have don’t it! Check out this video from our man on the comfy bike GruffaloScoot.
Maja charges £60 for the day. When taking into account the planning, knowledge and the fact every route is scouted beforehand it’s great value for money. Routes can be customised if you have somewhere, in particular, you would like to visit. Maja also has a number of other tours, including biker hangouts, picture-Esque locations, hidden beauties, ladies only days or even a weekend break perfect for people wanting more distance.
Genuinely this day tour, the company, and the right bike made for one of the best and most enjoyable rides I have ever had. It really will take some doing to best this!
- 2021’s best bikesThe start of 2021 has been pretty pants. Crap weather, lockdowns, and poor supply of everything from clothing to bike parts has put a downer on the year. That being said, it has been a great start to 2021 for bike sales. The MCIA reports a massive hike in new bike registrations. I’ve decided to… Read More »2021’s best bikes
- Moto GP21 Game review: is it an improvement?We have been playing the Milestone series of Motogp games since its first iteration in 2013. After playing far too much of the previous entries and collecting all achievements for every Motogp game released from the Italian developer, it’s time to do it all again with Motogp 21. I’m sure you all fed up with… Read More »Moto GP21 Game review: is it an improvement?
- What is the best motorcycle camera?Motorcycle cameras can be split up into two types: fixed to the bike or fixed to the rider. Both of these systems carry pros and cons. Systems fixed to the bike can normally be hardwired into the bikes power supply, leaving no issue for battery life whilst in use. Still, these will only record while… Read More »What is the best motorcycle camera?
- Viva Miller: The Story of Sunday’s Spanish GPBy now the dust has settled and the sun has set on one of the most iconic tracks MotoGP ever go to – Circuito de Jerez – and oh wow, did it produce yet another stunner of a race. The MotoGP race looked decidedly set to give Fabio Quartararo his first hat trick of wins… Read More »Viva Miller: The Story of Sunday’s Spanish GP
- Will Valentino Rossi retire in 2021?It sounded like a match made in heaven. One of the greatest and most popular riders in Moto GP history, paired with an underdog team, ruffled the big guns’ feathers in 2020. Adding factory Yamaha machinery, with one of his VR46 academy prodigy in Franco Morbidelli as his teammate. The stuff of dreams for a… Read More »Will Valentino Rossi retire in 2021?