I am the first to hold my hands up and say I’m not a touring biker. My bike does not have the fuel range, it can’t practically carry stuff, I don’t own a sat-nav, I’m terrible with directions and every time I try to route plan it turns out to be a 40 zone with craters rivalling the surface of the moon. So when Maja said she would sort all of the hassles; all I had to do was turn up, ride, enjoy the sights and ice creams. It sounds like a deal too good to be true!
Taking the hassle out of a tour
Not scared of adventure, Maja has travelled the globe. Hitchhiking across Europe, bicycling to Barcelona, across Italy and southern France. Nowadays blood biker Maja, operates out of God’s country (Wales), exploring the best roads the UK has to offer, on her Ducati Supersport ‘Bella’.
Maja took us on her Welsh lakes tour, starting and ending in Wrexham. Stops include Lyn Brenig, Betws-y-coed, Bala lake and Lake Vyrnwy. The route is 150 miles of Wales’ finest roads, amazing scenery, with the odd sheep or two. Low traffic volumes, made the route perfect to enjoy, with nice breaks in between stages.
Making it easy to tour on any bike!
When touring, the company you keep quite often makes trips, and on this one, it was no exception. Ten of the UK’s finest Northern motorcycle twitterers, riding a range of sports bikes, and one on a comfy bike, with plenty of storage.
Meeting at 10 am, gives a social start time, still allowing a lie in, and no mad rush to get to the start. Picking a petrol station and coffee shop also allowed fueling of myself and the bike ready for the day’s adventure.
I’ve found with previous group rides, the varying abilities of riders, often leads to people getting left behind, or lost. Maja grouped us well with riders of similar riding levels and led from the front keeping a progressive pace suitable for all of us. On a smaller, more intimate group, there would be no issues, and even better Maja can alter the pace to whatever suits.
The best roads in Wales
The route itself was a great mix of every sort of road imaginable. Magnificent scenery through the Snowdonia national park, wide-open roads in excellent condition made it a pleasure to ride. The A4212 from Betws to Bala is motorcycling perfection and enjoyed by all on the trip. The ice cream at Bala makes it worth the visit alone.
Wales’ highest mountain pass
What do you get when you cross a Yamaha R1, the highest mountain pass in Wales, mud, sheep shi* and cattle grids? The road, Bwlch y Groes links minor roads Dinas Mawddwy (via Llanymawddwy), Llanuwchllyn and Lake Vyrnwy. Doing these on a sportsbike was an experience, a great ride for scenery and photos, and I can bet not many have don’t it! Check out this video from our man on the comfy bike GruffaloScoot.
Maja charges £60 for the day. When taking into account the planning, knowledge and the fact every route is scouted beforehand it’s great value for money. Routes can be customised if you have somewhere, in particular, you would like to visit. Maja also has a number of other tours, including biker hangouts, picture-Esque locations, hidden beauties, ladies only days or even a weekend break perfect for people wanting more distance.
Genuinely this day tour, the company, and the right bike made for one of the best and most enjoyable rides I have ever had. It really will take some doing to best this!
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they know, combining that with tours to the best local attractions, eating the best local food,… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues lie with the state of the tarmac and it seems to be getting worse every… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre than the Diablo Rosso 4, using Bi-Compound construction on both front and rear tyres, with… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!
- Is Yamaha working on a new sportsbike for 2022?Over the past few years, with the CV-19 pandemic and spiralling costs, firms want to get the most reward from R&D costs; at first, I thought it was to keep things simple, but it also makes excellent business sense. This process is not new, it’s been going on for decades, but it’s now even more… Read More »Is Yamaha working on a new sportsbike for 2022?
- BeMoto Insurance giving away Panigale V4S!Motorcycle insurance specialist BeMoto has announced the launch of the new BeLotto competition, to win a Ducati Panigale V4S complete with a full selection of other prizes totalling over £10,000, in this free to enter competition. BeMoto insurance are relatively new, starting in 2015, but with over 50 years of experience in the financial services… Read More »BeMoto Insurance giving away Panigale V4S!