If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a Triathlon, but it’s not something you just go and do, so entering a Duathlon gave me an excellent point to dip my toe in something to aim for and focus on. The sprint distance Duathlon comprises a 5 km run, 20 km bike, and a final 2.5 km run (3.1mi, 12.5mi and 1.2mi).
Personally, I feel like running is my weakest discipline at the moment. I used to run a lot of years ago, but a recurring ankle injury put a hold to that hence taking up cycling. The ankle seems to be better now (fingers crossed), so gradually raising the miles ran should hopefully be better!
Nutrition has always been hard; I hate exercising when fasted or empty, but I also hate it when having eaten, and of course, there’s no happy medium. I’ve been managing some rides starting out fasted and topping up as I go along, mainly with a carb drink and a banana or two which seems to be working well. Any nutrition tips would be very welcome!
Overall I’m happy with the meaning at the moment, I’d be over the moon if I can complete the Duathlon in under an hour and a half, and if I can raise a few hundred quid for Lukes’s legacy in doing so, well that’s even better! If you would like to sponsor me here is the link, thankyou!
What is DocBike Staffordshire
On average, 6 motorcyclists are killed or seriously injured every week in the UK. You have the power to help change this! DocBike is a charity putting a highly trained trauma doctor or critical care paramedic on two wheels. Working alongside local emergency services, we provide life-saving critical care whilst helping to prevent collisions from happening in the first place. Our team of riders are highly trained trauma doctors or paramedics, who look after critically ill and injured patients in the pre-hospital environment as part of their day job. They give their time voluntarily to help keep motorcyclists on two wheels, because they know the devastation that can be caused when a motorcyclist is involved in a collision. It costs approximately £50,000 to put a DocBike on the road. We receive no direct funding from the Government and rely on your generosity to continue our life-saving work. With your support, we can be there for fallen bikers when they need us the most.
- Ben’s training log week 1.Weekly Stats: Rides: 2 Time trial (12km long) Negative Split and Zone 2 recovery (8km)Runs: 2 (Couch to 5k week 2, run 1 and week 1 run 3)Other activities: Indoor Bouldering & Rock Climbing I’m not the fastest out there, and I know it, but… Read More »Ben’s training log week 1.
- Duathlon Traning log #1If you follow us on Twitter, you’ll see that I’ve signed up to do the Darley more Sprint Duathlon at the end of September, raising funds for Luke’s Legacy- Docbike Staffordshire. On a whim, I’ve always wanted to do a Triathlon, but it’s not something… Read More »Duathlon Traning log #1
- Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touringIf there’s one thing we’ve learnt throughout and after lockdown, it’s to get out more and enjoy what you want to do. This gave Gary and John the idea, of getting bikers together, and showing them the best roads they know, combining that with tours… Read More »Queensferry Moto Routes – A new take on motorcycle touring
- The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?British roads are terrible, ok correction, the British road surface are terrible. It would be wrong to call the actual roads themselves bad because we are privileged to have some absolute gems stashed around the UK. For me, the issues lie with the state of… Read More »The roads are rubbish, but it’s still fun..right?
- New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!Pirelli celebrates its 150th birthday, and as part, they are releasing a new line of one of their best selling and performing tyre groups; the Diablo Rosso. The new Diablo Rosso Corsa, sees a higher grip even faster road-focused tyre than the Diablo Rosso 4,… Read More »New Diablo Rosso 4 Corsa motorcycle tyre!